Monday, April 4

LOL! It's Good for You

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." ~Oscar Wilde

Did you know that April is National Humor Month? Which means it's a perfect time for LOL moments - our topic for this week.

Laughing is one of the best things you can do for your health. It's good for your heart, it reduces the level of stress hormones while increasing healthy hormones, like endorphins and neurotransmitters. Laughter strengthens your immune system. It even burns calories and tones your abs!

Laughing is one of the best things you can do for your social life. It connects you with others, it's a universal language that can diffuse negativity and spread joy.

Laughing is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It lightens your mood. It helps keep things in perspective.

My problem is, that when I most need a laugh - when I'm frustrated or angry or discouraged or sad - I don't really feel like laughing.

My solutions?

* Listen to children laugh. They are so pure in their joy, I can't help but smile.
* Call a friend with a good sense of humor and share a laugh.
* Watch a feel-good comedy.

What do you do when you need to laugh? How does laughter make you feel better?





* photo credit: Parade.com

4 comments:

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Laughing is so good for you and I know last year I didn't do enough of it because I was so frustrated with things. I have to say one thing I like about bartending is that my regular customers are always there to make me laugh, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not so much, but there are good laughs to be had there!

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

When I need to laugh, I think of all the ridiculous things I've done - there's quite a bit of material there!

Wendy Toliver said...

such sweet videos. nothing feels as good as a deep, uncontrollable, don't-need-to-do-crunches-for-a-week laugh.

Amanda Ashby said...

I used to love being a kid and getting the giggles in the middle of class because the more you know you're not meant to laugh, somehow the funnier something becomes!