Sunday, July 22

Fun Health


I'm jumping in here a day late (sorry!) but I've been in a remote Alaskan lodge and its surrounding lakes and rivers for the past week and am just now getting back to a computer. So if you don't mind, I'm going to take you back to last week's subject of Health for a spell and then we can get back to what Lauren, Jen, and Erica are discussing this week.


When I was in Alaska, I got to hang out with a beautiful lady named Judy, who lives in Achorage. We went kayacking and she told me about how she and about 30 of her girlfriends have something active planned for every single day of the year. They do miss days from time to time, but there's always something going on so no one has the excuse (or luxury) of saying "there's nothing to do." They go mountain biking, cross country skiing, downhill skiing, boating, snow mobiling, running, walking, hiking, climbing, etc, etc.


I'm going to be honest with you. I'm in an exercise rut. I bought a punch card at a new gym that's only 10 minutes away (that's very close because I live in the country), and I've only been able to go to power yoga twice. I have three little boys, and finding someone to take all three is nearly impossible. Not to mention I'm totally behind on my writing and I'm planning a writers' conference for October, and time is getting away from me.


So I asked Judy if she was this physically active when her two boys were little. She said no, and that my time would come. That made me feel better. So I'm going to do whatever exercise I can (like jumping on the trampoline with my boys), when I can (like when the baby's sleeping and the laundry's drying), and enjoy my kids and my writing. Because another important part of health is being happy. :)

9 comments:

Brian Mandabach said...

So jealous about your trip to Alaska. I am having a hard time being active, myself, between writing and fathering! I'm going to try to at least do some walking.

Sara Hantz said...

I totally go with your attitude on this. Trouble is my children don't need looking after in the same way yours do now they're older.... so I have no excuse!!

Your trip sounds fabulous.

Alyson Noel said...

I think being happy is a huge part of being healthy!! And I'm sooo jealous about your trip to Alaska! I'm hoping to get there sometime in the next few months. . .

Wendy Toliver said...

Hi Brian,
I like to go for walks too, and it's something you can do with kids, thanks to strollers and backpacks.

Sara,
Yes the trip was fabulous. My only disappointment was not seeing a bear. Most folks got to (from the safety of their planes) but I somehow always sat in the "moose section."

Alyson,
You'll have to let me know if you go to Alaska. Have you been before?

Thanks for commenting!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Congrats on your trip to Alaska! Yes, under pressure we have to remember the happiness for ourselves and our families. :) :)

Gerb said...

Oooh. Beautiful pictures. My DH and I are going on an Alaskan cruise next month for our anniversary and I can't wait for scenery like this.

I agree that you have to take the time when you can find it and enjoy your exercise. One thing I'm excited about in our new home is the extensive parks and bike path systems Dublin has in place. Family bike rides are relaxing and fun, and we get to discover new places each time we choose a different route.

Wendy Toliver said...

Hey Kelly,
Thanks for the comment! And yes, Alaska was really amazing. I never turn down an opportunity to visit the Great Wild North.

Gerb!
You are so lucky to have bike paths at your fingertips. That's the way my college city (Ft. Collins, CO) is. You'd just hop on your bike (or rollerblades back then) and in moments you'd be zooming to the multitude of beautiful parks or other fun destinations. It's something we might take for granted until we have to move somewhere else.

Deb Logan said...

So cool! I dream of visiting Alaska one day!

Wendy Toliver said...

Thanks for dropping by the TFC, Deb! I hope you do get to go to Alaska. It's truly one of the most breathtaking places I've ever visited.

:)