Friday, November 13

Travel: Wild, Wonderful West Virginia!

My dad's family from waaaay back when is from West Virginia. I try to get there at least once a year--Dad's buried there now--and it's always a place full of ghosts and stories and new adventures, which is kind of an awesome combo. Here are some pics from my latest WVA visit this fall.

Walking "the farm," my great-grandfather's former residence (this is me by the tool shed).



Kayaking and reading a little Cassie Clare!



Dinner at my cousin Molly Moss's farmhouse is eaten under a photo of Robert E. Lee... here's Dave in the dining room with General Lee looking on:


Also in Molly's farmhouse is an old photo of my grandmother Carol and her brother Clem. I'm obsessed with these antique family photos. LOVE them:


There's a lot of land along the Potomac where my great-grandfather's farm sits. The house is falling down, but it's full of old letters and notes and magic. Maybe even ghosts. I love going to see it:


My friend Pete Kephart lives right near the old farm and is an amazing artist. He experiments with lots of styles, the latest of which is Fire Painting. How cool is this?! Learn more here. (And come to his show in NYC if you're around in December).



These are all to say that sometimes the best travel consists of a trip where you go back home to places from your family's past. Anyone else have somewhere as special as WVA is to me? I hope you do!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I was born in Texas and grew up in Argentina, so I have favorite places in different parts of the globe. But one of my favorites is the Texas coast at Corpus Christi, so I wrote a teen novel set there. If you're interested in finding out about the book, Angela 1: Starting Over, just click on my name and follow on to my web site. Thanks :)

Santoz said...

Realy nice blog..

Alyson Noel said...

All that history--how wonderful! I have lots of favorite places but nothing quite like that--how awesome for you!

LOVE your friends work by the way--I clicked on his site, he's got really beautiful work there.

Sara Hantz said...

I'd love to go visit, it looks an amazing place.

Wendy Toliver said...

Great post and pictures, melissa! Your friend's art is really cool.

Amanda Ashby said...

Melissa - thanks for sharing - your photos are awesome!!!

Even though I'm from Australia, my husband is from Liverpool in the UK and that's a city that I'm obsessed with. I love the people, I love the buildings and the history and of course I love the accent!!! The best thing is when I found out that my great grandmother was actually from Liverpool - it helped explain why I've always felt such a connection!!

Melissa Walker said...

Thanks, everyone! If you're in NYC in early December, let me know and we'll go to Pete's art show together. :)