Monday, July 21

Ooooh Mamma Mia!

Since this week's topic is movies, it was my blog-given duty to get off my tush, break out the big bucks for a babysitter, gather the usual suspects (my gal pals who tend to be spontaneous and fun), and head downtown to see the Broadway musical-cum-blockbuster Mamma Mia!

If you haven't seen it yet, you've probably heard from somebody in your life that this movie is hilarious. If seeing Meryl Streep in platform boots performing ABBA songs doesn't get you there, maybe Pierce Brosnan actually singing will. (I didn't say he sings well, but it's cute seeing him try.)

From opening scene to well after the credits rolled, my attention was riveted. I felt like singing along (even though I didn't know the words), dancing in the aisle, buying costumes like Meryl and her girlfriends wear, going back in time and redoing my wedding in a "Mamma Mia" theme, seeing it live on the stage, sending Meryl gobs of fan mail, and booking a trip to Greece--in no particular order. I laughed so hard, I won't have to do situps for a week, and I hereby give this movie a "waterproof mascara required" warning. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that's so high energy, and I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite scene or character.

Have you seen Mamma Mia yet? If not, do you plan to?

9 comments:

Gerb said...

Oooh. I am dying to see the movie. We saw Mama Mia on stage in London and I *loved* it. I think we had the best cast EVER, so it will be hard for Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan et al to fill their shoes, but I wanna see them try!

But... deadlines and girls camp come first. Then I hit the theater!

(Also interested to hear if anyone has seen Dark Knight yet... also on my list of wanna sees.)

Jessica Burkhart said...

Ahhh, I can't wait to see it! :)

Anna R said...

Hey Wendy I am so glad U enjoyed it, yea as U know I did see it live and that will in no way detract from seeing the movie. I saw it with Grandpa and Mel and sis and he knew all the songs, hehe. Well he is a kabillion years old. I first thought it was gonna be a bunch of actors lip syncing Abba songs- Was I surprised. I loveeeed it. Some recent reviews gogged it but they were written by old guys who are clueless and probably don't secretly dance in an elevator when the doors closed (even if they are playing cool music like some of my fav stores.)
That is on my must see list. I will have the DVD as soon as it is pressed tho I'd love to see it with all my friends. Maybe Dad could arrange a screening, hehe.ILY Wendy, ur sweetieanna

Alyson Noel said...

Oh, I can't wait to crawl out of my deadline cave and see this one! Can't wait!

Meredith said...

I cannot wait to see this one. On Saturday, my family and I went to see WALL-E and as we came out, I saw my best friend and her mom going in to see Mamma Mia! She later told me that she liked the movie.

~meredith

Sara Hantz said...

I saw it at the weekend and laughed so much my daughter told me to control myself...... it seriously is the best movie I've seen in ages and I predict I will be seeing it many times more and will then buy the DVD when it comes out!!!!!

Cara King said...

I haven't seen it yet, though I want to. Instead, I saw Dark Knight this weekend -- Heath Ledger is truly amazing in it...

Cara

adh said...

I saw it opening weekend and had a great time. Loved! It! I even bought the soundtrack.

Melissa Walker said...

Still need to see it... the boyfriend is not into it so I need to round up the girls!