Thursday, October 30

Dizzy's Iced Coffee

This is my coffee shop. I get an iced coffee with cream and sugar here nearly every morning. J, who was working five mornings a week, knows how I like it to taste like coffee ice cream. She humors me, even in the winter. (Hot drinks make me feel like I have the flu--it's weird, I know.)

Lately, however, J's cut down on her shifts. There are new people there, and they are very smiley and nice (J often surly, but it's part of her charm), and these new people do not make the coffee right. Too much cream, too little sugar, not enough cream, waaaay to sweet... the combinations of wrongness are endless. I miss J.

This one small thing--someone changing shifts after five years at my coffee shop--has really thrown me! I can't get the coffee I want, and therefore I can't write as well as I want to! I need my Dizzy's iced coffee!

Now, never fear, I've taken to stalking J's few shifts and ordering coffee then. It's not the same, but I should cut back on the cream anyway, and this just makes the perfect cup all the more special and tasty--it's become a real treat.

Has this ever happened in your world? One small shift that seems to have a ripple effect? And also: What is your Dizzy's coffee? The thing you need to sit down with when you start working on something? (I'm thinking of subbing in Gummy Worms.)

7 comments:

Alyson Noel said...

Oh yes, this has definitely happened to me. It seemed like every time my husband and I would get to know the crew at our local Starbucks- they'd change. And we'd have to retrain them all over again!

BUT- as I gave up coffee 7 months ago (I feel like I should get a sobriety chip!), now I just find my way to my kitchen and make my green tea just the way that i like it (um, with hot water).

It's good to shake up the routine (even though it kinda sucks!).

Gerb said...

My tale of woe is losing my hairstylist when she quit to have a baby. Took me years to find another who I loved as much as her. And then we moved. And moved again. And again. When we landed back in Ohio, I hoped she might be back in business, but no luck. I am happy to say though, that after a year of hit and miss haircuts, I have found another stylist I will be loyal to - until one of us moves on...

As for what I NEED to work - Diet Coke with a wedge of lime. Even in the morning (my substitute for coffee.)

Sara Hantz said...

I know what you mean. I'll tell you what really gets to me..... I always write my supermarket shopping list in the order I come across items.... it makes things much easier and then I don't forget anything.... well, I hate it when for no apparent reason (other than to wind me up) supermarkets decide to move things....WTF..... do they not realise how much this upsets my equilibrium????

sweetmelissa818 said...

Having been the coffee lady myself at one time, I know how much people come to rely on their coffee being done a certain way. We had certain people who would specifically request that someone else make their coffee, if they weren't there the people would leave. Very specific. I have to have my coffee a certain way too, and most of the people don't make it right.

Micol Ostow said...

I completely take it for granted that the people at my local cafe know how I take my coffee and what my "usual" breakfast or lunch order is. They are awesome.

Melissa Walker said...

Glad to hear I'm not crazy picky! You'll all be happy to know that J was working today, fully dressed for Halloween. Yay!

Amanda Ashby said...

Change is wrong. It should be discouraged. I was completely devistated when they stopped making Diet Coke with Vanilla and I still look for it everytime I go to the store, just on the off chance that a miracle has happened!! Anyway, hope you can get a new 'J' trained up soon!