Thursday, June 18

FRIENDS BEARING GIFTS



It's Friends week here at TFC so today I'm talking about great gifts friends have given me.

I have two best friends, one I've known for 32 years (BFF1) and one for 22 years (BFF2).

For my bridal shower, BFF2 arranged with a few other folks to give me a very expensive pool cue to replace the one that had been stolen from a bar one night when I was out shooting.

Then last week, I came home to find a message from UPS saying they had a package I needed to be home the next day to sign for. I grumbled, "Oh great. Probably some other writer-type person wants a favor and they're being anal, making me sign for it - I can't wait around all day!" With a knowing smile, my husband said, "I don't think it's what you think it is." Hmm...what did he know that I didn't? Only that BFF1 had sent me an entire case of Prosecco, my summer drink of choice which I'd shared with her during her visit from Colorado the week before. A whole case??? I don't live the kind of life where people send me things like that! Wait a second. I guess now I do. I get things like that and pool cues because I'm lucky to have friends who know me so well, they know exactly what I want and they like to give it to me.

So here's to friends! And here's to friends bearing gifts!

QUESTION OF THE DAY: WHAT UNUSUAL GIFTS HAVE FRIENDS GIVEN YOU THAT MADE YOUR DAY WHILE MAKING YOU FEEL KNOWN AND LOVED?

Be well. Don't forget to write.

11 comments:

meghanstrain said...

I have been given Chocolate milk (I have a weakness..) to cheer me up when i'm feeling sad. It worked!

Marie said...

One time one of my BFFs gave me a Mr. Matzoh doll just because it was cute!

Great story btw!

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Meghan, here's to friends who know how to cheer you!

Cupcake, thanks! But what's a Mr. Matzoh doll???

Sara Hantz said...

What fabulous friends you have!

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

They are fabulous, Sara! I'm far luckier than I deserve.

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Fabulous stories and what great friends, Lauren. The stuff from my friends comes in odd forms.

A ring which a friend let me keep because I needed it more than he did (long story). I eventually gave it back when I no longer needed it. When he died last summer, I told his mother the story about it and she found the ring again and gave it to me.

A plastic Gizmo (Gremlins) figurine from my BFF when I needed cheering up.

A guitar pick that reads Girls Rock Harder from a dear friend when I needed encouragement and luck.

I have an odd collection of little meaningful gifts.

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Wonderful friend and gifts, Steph. The ring story is particularly moving and that's without you even filling in all the details.

Alyson Noel said...

A good friend recently gave me a pair of earrings she's treasured for years because she wanted me to enjoy them too--that really meant a lot to me!

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

How wonderful, Alyson!

Melissa Walker said...

Ooh, I love thinking about friend gifts, and the prosecco is a GOOD one! My favorite friend gift of all time, from all friends, are mix tapes/CDs/playlists. They're so personal to times and places and feelings between us; love them always.

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Melissa, it's great you have friends who know what you love.