Tuesday, June 14

My Favorite Quote


As some of you might know (okay, so maybe only if you're my mom), I wrote an entire book on quotes. The Little Giant Encyclopedia fo Inspirational Quotes. (Click just to see the crazy price this little book is going for now that it's out of print.) But anyway, yes, I dig quotes, and sometimes when I'm feeling down, I'll pull out this little book and turn to a random page.

There's one page, 398 to be exact, that this little book opens to the most often, and on it is one of my favorite quotes ever. This is a popular one, and it's for good reason.

What is success?
To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics adn to endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

How do you define success?

5 comments:

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

How cool that you collected all those quotes for a book, Wendy! And that Emerson quote is amazing. I think I need to print it out and put it over my desk for when I forget about those most important things in life. Especially the laughing bit.

Wendy Toliver said...

That's my favorite part of the quote too, Stephanie.

Anonymous said...

Yep , Wendy. I love your little book of quotes. I especially like the part of Ralph's quote about leaving the world a bit better with a healthy child. You're making the world better by giving children a love for reading and writing. Blessings to you and your special kidlit authors. My boundless love! Mom

Wendy Toliver said...

Awww, hi Mom! :)

Melissa Walker said...

Yay, Wendy's mom is here! I love that you did this book, and that quote? Aces.