Thursday, January 22

The Most Important Fashion Decision of My Life

When I saw that I was scheduled to post during fashion week at TFC, I got a little bit intimidated. I'm totally not fashionable at all and I had no idea what I'd talk about. Then I realized, hey, the most important fashion decision of my life is coming up... I have to pick a wedding dress!!! Perhaps the TFC readers can help me out.

So my boyfriend proposed on Christmas Eve. If you're curious about all the cute little details, you can check out my blog here. I'm not planning a traditional wedding at all (and if you know me even slightly, I'm sure you're totally not shocked). So I don't want a traditional white dress. I wanted it to be my opportunity to buy a cute designer dress. I never went to prom. I've never owned any "label" dresses. I've always been a thrift store and vintage girl. Early 90s Courtney Love, the whole baby doll dress thing that's my sense of style when it comes to dressing up. Like this was pretty much my style (except I rarely wear white, more black):
Dude, if that could be my wedding dress, I'd be pretty psyched. I wasn't even really planning to go white at all though, but the babydoll style was what I was looking for. I've always adored Betsey Johnson dresses and found a black and blue one I really liked that I sent to my friend Tai asking if I could pull it off as a wedding dress. She said I totally could and then she found it in pink and black in my size on eBay for half price!!! I decided to take the risk and go for it. This is the dress I ordered:
It came today (in two days!!! I was so shocked!) and I was pleased to find that it fit, but ummmmmmmmmm it's really short! Like if I bend over, you are definitely getting a show. Now it's an October wedding so I can wear thick black tights with it, but I don't know. I took some crappy mirror pictures (I couldn't let the groom see it and take pictures, right?) and you guys can help me decide.

Here's without tights so you can see exactly how short it is (pardon my messy bedroom):
And with tights, how I would do it:

Is this okay for the totally untraditional, Courtney Love-fan bride whose getting married in an Irish pub (you can check it out here) or do I need to wear this to the bachlorette party and pick a new dress (god, but I love this dress soooooo much!) and if so, seen any dresses lately that I should check out???

ETA:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think adding an under layer, probably as simple as buying a slip might be the ticket!!! Pink if I can match it, but otherwise, I experimented with a black slip I had (excuse the wrinkles) and my best friend and I think it is pretty cute. So we are going to go slip shopping sometime next week. Let me know what you think about it! But also I may try gray tights (since it will be fall) or keep my eye out for other dresses since we are so far out, so keep throwing the suggestions my way, I love them!

31 comments:

Megan said...

The top looks great! But it is a little short, but I hate it with the tights. Is there any way you can wear something under it? Like a black shirt, slightly longer? Or have it altered to have another layer added underneath to add length?

Megan said...

I just looked at it again and a pink satin under layer would match the bow perfectly.

Anonymous said...

That dress is SO AWESOME and so very very YOU. But yeah, it is really insanely short. A couple of ideas:

- a slip (obviously one longer than the dress)
- black silk pantaloons (possibly not dressy enough)

Wendy Toliver said...

I agree with Megan and Annika. It's an amazing dress and it looks great on you but it is really short. If you can add another layer it so it's a little bit longer, I think you'll feel more comfortable. I'm glad you posted a picture. I've been curious to see it ever since you mentioned it on Twitter! :)

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Thanks for all the feedback guys and I kinda don't like the tights either. A lot of friends said find a seamstress too. Now to find a good one. Umm how does one go about that???

Megan said...

I totally meant *skirt, instead of shirt. You don't really know that but I feel silly.

Seamstress...
ASK AROUND. Referrals are going to be your best bet any day. For both price and positive experience.

Steph said...

I don't like the tights either. Legs out, Ms Namesake! Just ... don't bend over? :P

But yeah, good call on adding another layer for length. You'll feel heaps more comfortable.

Steph

Anonymous said...

I do not like the tights either. Maybe if you did some kind of lace leggings? But be careful only cause you don't want too many patterns up gainst the main one in the dress. I think this dress may work better for the bachloreete party cause if you do bend over and don't think about it, it will be all girls around you anyway, so it won't matter.

Chel said...

Hey girl - Chel from MySpace! I love the dress, I agree on the tights - a big no go, I love the idea of another layer. Congratulations. This will be the time of your life.

desparapluies said...

The dress looks amazing on you!

I agree that you could get a pink lace slip and have it show maybe 1-2 inches below the hem. Or just get a seamstress to sew on an equal amount of pink lace. You're not going to be bending over while getting married anyhow, but you shouldn't feel self-conscious.

BUT i also think you should try it with a different color of tights, something lighter, like grey, maybe dove-grey. That would allow the dress to stand out the same as it does on bare legs, and you wouldn't have to modify the dress at all. Opaque tights would also look cute with whatever shoes you end up getting (I am hoping for dove-grey tights and pink shoes! But i'd have to see it to know for sure.).

desparapluies said...

ps, i don't think they would work, but if you wanted an interesting look, i do have some pink crochet tights i could send you... or photoshop together with your image!

Nissa said...

I actually don't think it's too short (ehh..I'm a legs girl) but because, because I'm gonna throw out

www.offbeatbride.com

http://www.maxchaoulcouture.com/

http://wai-ching.com/

Miss Mandi said...

Hot Steph!!

Brooke Reviews said...

OK just wanted to say I love the dress and you have amazing legs, so show them off! It's your wedding you can wear what you want to! :D

Alyson Noel said...

I LOOOOVE It!!! I think it's awesome!

I got married in Vegas- so this is right up my alley!

You've got great gams so you could totally go without the tights, though, I'm gonna be the voice of dissent here and say the tights are pretty cute.

Very Courtney!!

Jessica Burkhart said...

I totally don't think it's too short! Like Alyson, I adore the tights. :)

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

You look gorgeous, Steph...now make that bed!

Becca said...

I think the dress is beautiful, and you have AMAZING legs that I would kill for, but I know that I could not be comfortable for long in something that short- even if I had your amazing legs! These girls all have the right idea, with the finding a seamstress and adding a layer. But I'd also keep my eye out for something else, remembering that you can always change this to your bachelorette party dress!!! :)

Amanda Ashby said...

First up congrats on getting engaged!

Second up, I love vintage clothing as well - as my closet will attest and that dress is GORGEOUS!!!! Definitely don't go and buy something new just to make you feel like a bride. The most important thing is that you feel like a rock goddess on your big day so go with what you love!!!!

Alyson Noel said...

Amanda gives good advice!!

And I think the new photo with the slip is very cute!

Diana Rodriguez Wallach said...

Cute dress! Very Courtney.

Personally, I like the tights, but it makes the dress more casual--like for a bachelorette.

I agree with the seamstress idea. I know you're untraditional, but you can probably find good seamstress recommendations on theknot.com in your area. That's where I found mine--she was a retired seamstress from a bridal salon, worked out of her home. A seamstress can work wonders, and you won't have to worry about the slip moving around.

Unknown said...

Shit, go with fishnets (or pink fishnets...)...and maybe a longer frilly/lacey slip-thing to make the skirt longer like the others were saying

Other than that, it looks awesome. It's your damn day, you wear whatever the hell you damn well please. (Paul's ma freaked over the fact that my tattoos weren't covered up...she tried to cover them with flowers...I said, uh, no, that's quite alright, my day, remember?)

Anonymous said...

I think you'd look back on it and be even happier if you wore it as a reception dress. It's a little short, and tights make it say "LETS PARTY". I think it would be a better idea for the reception. Try a summer dress with sleeves like the really short sleeves that is just long enough to keep it from being a tank top. Those were a favorite of Courtney Love's. But thats just my thoughts. Go for what you're happy in. Just keep your eyes open. You have a few months to decide. Just don't go get it altered till you know where and when you will where it.

Bunny B said...

The dress is fab! I love it!! Looking hot!! (Sorry, I have no fab ideas to add on like the others.)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

What a Cute Dress!
you definately have the legs to bare them!

For some beautiful accessories visit www.samanthasultana.etsy.com. I am busting for the launch of her
www.samanthasultana.com site.

Courtney herself is a BIG FAN of her accessories, as well as many other A listers.....

Gerb said...

I don't have any great ideas other than to agree that the under layer works, but I have to tell you, you look fabulous in that dress.

Liviania said...

I don't hate the tights with the dress, but I loathe the idea of black tights at a wedding.

A slip could work, but it might be tricky to make it look natural.

I think a nice pair of narrow-legged pants black or the pink of the ribbon and a pair of flats in the color you don't choose for the pants would look nice under the dress. (See Violet by Design cover, on the left bar of TFC.) After all, you probably either own a pair of black dress pants or could use them for work or other occasions.

Sara Hantz said...

WOW, you look awesome in the dress!! And you have fab legs so I wouldn't worry about it being short.

Melissa Walker said...

I love it. I'd keep it and keep looking, IF You enjoy the looking, and if you find a dreamier something, get that and wear this to the bachelorette. If not, you're set. Because it looks gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE the dress with the tights. I want it for my birthday - though I'm turning nineteen now so it would have to wait a few years or decades and I actually don't want to get married but whatever. It's so beautiful. (:

Ruth King said...

I LOVE it with the slip! Very, very pretty and I'd never guess that the dress wasn't that length to start with.