Wednesday, January 21

Winter Fashion

This week at the Cafe, we're talking about Fashion. And since it's another blustery winter day here in Utah, I thought I'd talk about practical fashion. In other words, the fashion pieces that help keep you toasty when it's freezing outside.
Take the snow boot. The Sorel has long been a favorite of mine for when it's really cold and wet outside. Furry boots are always fun, and though I've never owned a pair, I hear they're very warm. Remember the "Chubakkah" style boots that celebs tracked through Aspen snow way back when? These days, I'm seeing a lot of sporty style snow boots, like these red and white ones by Adidias. And Uggs are still very popular, even though they're not water proof, which is something I look for. A couple of years ago, my husband bought me a pair of Skechers snow boots, and I love them. They're tall, water proof, and have faux fur accents. They do the trick: keep my feet warm and dry while looking cute.

Another must-have accessory for cold winters is the scarf. I never really wore scarves until about 4 years ago, when my mother-in-law made one for me. Now I don't know how I made it through CO and UT winters without them. I have a huge collection of scarves now, and my favorites are the handmade ones with lots of color and texture.
What are your favorite winter fashion pieces?




13 comments:

Jessica Burkhart said...

I JUST started to have a thing for scarves, too! They're so snuggly and they add a pop of color to winter coats. :)

Anna R said...

Hi wendy: U'd look cute with burlap bags and trash bags wraped around ur feet but boots are better, hehe and furry boots totally cool. I have Uggs and wore them in the snow yesterday but I couldn;'t go too far from my door cause I'd fall down and have to remain there till Spring.
U didn't mention my total fave- mittins, well and some gloves, but really mittins. I remind U to wear ur mittins every day, hehe. this is a cool place- so U need ur scarf. love ya, ur anna

Alyson Noel said...

Well, it's been so sunny and warm in CA lately I'd have to say T-shirts and flip-flops!!

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

Hey, everybody! Free-for-all on Alyson! Did you hear what she just said??? She's warm-weather gloating at us!

Iserr said...

I wish we had snowy winters in so-cal!!! Like Alyson said, it's t-shirt and flip flop wheather here in sunny San Diego.

sweetmelissa818 said...

I LOVE scarves and hats!!

Natalie Hatch said...

Wendy the only time I've ever seen snow was when I backpacked through the States and found what really was 'slush' at the South Face of the Grand Canyon. When I was in Utah visiting old friends it snowed on the mountains but by the time I got there it had melted. Maybe one day.
I do love a nice snuggly scarf and a good woolen coat. Though in the tropics we only have about one week of cold and then it's back to shorts and tshirt weather.

Gerb said...

I still love my Roots hat I got at the Salt Lake Olympics years ago - you know, the ones that all the athletes wore? Maybe because it was so hard to find while we were there it became all the more desirable. My husband's aunt finally procured one and gave it to me and it's been one of my prize possessions ever since.

And I have a collection of scarves, too!

Wendy Toliver said...

Great comments, thank you!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I actually LIKE living somewhere with 4 distinct seasons.

This winter I get to go to St. George, Utah and Las Vegas, both a nice break from the bitter cold. But nothing as warm as S. Calif or the tropical locales!

Anna- I love mittens too! And Gerb, my mom has one of those SLC 2002 Olympic Roots hats and loves it too. What great memories!

Alyson Noel said...

Hey Lauren-
You caught me gloating . . .guilty as charged!

Amanda Ashby said...

When it comes to winter I have the lot: leather gloves, scarves and a large assortment of beanies (which you guys probably call something else though I can't think what). Oh, but my all time fav thing is my black berat which always keeps my ears warm and makes me think that I'm French all at the same time!!!

Sara Hantz said...

Can't think of winter at the moment, it's too hot here. And even in winter the most I wear is a lightweight coat!!! Don't do scarves, gloves, hats ot anything furry!!!

Melissa Walker said...

Scarves for me too. I have a Burberry scarf that feels like a blanket I had when I was little and I just LOVE it.