Monday, May 26

Happy endings

So last week I started reading this great young adult book. I mean it was really, really great. Until I got to the end and discovered it finished in totally the wrong place - well for me anyway! You see it had set up this amazing situation but then instead of letting the heroine fight through and resolve it, it just finished pretty much on the note of 'oh, well, that's just the way life is. Deal with it.'

My problem is that I don't read books to find out how life is, I read books to find out how life could be. Of course it was made worse by the fact there was about twenty extra pages at the back of the book (with blank pages, author bio and book excerpts etc) so I didn't even realize I was at the end of the story until I turned the page and discovered it was over.

I hesitate to mention the book's name because the truth is that these things are all subjective and perhaps other people like their endings less predictable and more realistic, but for me I need things to be finished. I like my Is dotted, my Ts crossed and my heroines and heroes living happily ever after while the bad guys get covered in green slime and are ridiculed for the rest of their natural lives. Really, is that too much to ask for?

So what about everyone else. Do you often read books where the end falls below your reader expectations? If so how do you deal?

13 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

I've definitely read a few books like this. And now as a new author, I realize how hard it is to create satisfying endings... so I sympathize, but I still get disappointed sometimes!

Amanda Ashby said...

Melissa, you're so right about sympathizing with how hard it is to get end right and that's one of the reasons I would never name names because let's face it no one sets out to write a book that might disappoint people.

What I think happened was that I thought the book was going in one direction and instead it went in another. I would certainly read more of the author's books and I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed next time because my expectations would be different!!!

Sara Hantz said...

I can totally relate. I have to have everything tied up with a bow on top!!! I also like epilogues - but not used as an excuse for the book not ending properly, if you get what I mean.

Lucy said...

Oh I hate that! I'm with you in that I love to read books to see how life could be - I already know how life is!

How do I deal? Well, it depends, if it's an author I already love and this is just a one-off situation, I just kind of take it in stride. If it's the first time I've read the author, it's a good chance it will also be the last.

Meredith said...

Totally agree. I want them to get the guy, live happily ever after, finish college or whatever, get married with 2.3 kids, and 5 dogs, living in the country. Is that too much to ask?

I NEED to know what happens. Even if they all die, I NEED TO KNOW. It will drive me crazy if I don't.

Amanda Ashby said...

Sara - we are as one!!!

Lucy - hehehe my fellow escapist!!!!

Meredith - yes, yes and yes. I blame it on my nosey gene but I love to know how everything works out!!!

Erica Orloff said...

I like a happy ending--or even a bittersweet one, one that feels "true." But in YAs, especially, I like giving my heroines a realy happy ending full of possibilities.

E

Gerb said...

I don't need HEA, but I do need the ending to be satisfying, with some sense of closure (or the hint of a new beginning.) And it needs to make sense. ; )

Alyson Noel said...

What Gerb said!

bevrosenbaum said...

I think it depends on the tone and feel of the book. In a fun, light book, sure, you want the heroine to end up with EVERYTHING! In a more serious, 'real' book, an ending like that would likely feel contrived. Having said that, even in these types of books, I like to get a hint at the end that the future looks a bit more promising...
Bev

Wendy Toliver said...

If I go to dinner and have an amazing appetizer, amazing salad, amazing main dish, and the dessert is disgusting, I might leave the restaurant surprised and disappointed, but I try to remind myself how wonderful the bulk of the meal was. That said, I'm all for amazing endings and I strive for them in all of my books. :)

Liviania said...

I prefer HEA. I can tell when a book needs a bittersweet or sad ending, but I usually like my books happy and full of hope. I'm another escaptist reader.

However, I hate it when a book ends with out resolution. Usually I feel like the author wimped out on me, which can totally affect how I view a book that I enjoyed 'til those last pages.

Katie Alender said...

Your description exactly fits a book I read last year! I wonder if it's the same one... hmm. I was all ready for XYZ to happen, and it was the perfect development for the main character, and then it all just sort of went *poof*!