Tuesday, December 28

Movies and Books


MOVIES


The holidays are a great time to catch up on movies and books. Recently I watched a movie with my boys that left me with that "What a blast!" feeling. It was "MEGAMIND." Yeah, it's a silly and cartoonish flick, but it's also creative, has quirky characters (including a kick-butt heroine and a heroic villain), cool music, and is fun for all ages. And what's more, it's actually kinda meaningful in that sticks-with-you-after-the-final-credits kind of way.

Movies I've watched at home recently (as I'm a brand new Netflix subscriber, even though our internet service has been sketchy at best these past few weeks due to avalanche problems) include: "The Good Heart" (love those quirky characters), "Letters to Juliet" (sweet, but maybe too sweet), "When in Rome" (cute with some LOL bits), and "Ira and Abby" (Abby is quirky to the point of being crazy).

As always, there are lots of movies I want to see, including: "Easy A," "Tron," "Little Fockers," and "Life in a Day," which will be shown at the upcoming Sundance Film Festival here in Utah.


BOOKS

I've also had a chance to dig a little deeper into my TBR pile, including Glimpse and The Chosen One, both by Carol Lynch Williams, Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr, and Sisters of Misery by Megan Kelley Hall. I loved every page of each of the aforementioned novels and am happy to say every one of these authors is a talented and amazing person to boot.

So ... what movies have you seen over the holidays? (And is it just me, or is Russell Brand everywhere you turn?) What books have you read lately? (And is it just me, or does trying to keep up with all of Lauren Baratz-Logsted's book releases make you dizzy?)

7 comments:

LM Preston said...

Love the hodgepodge of books and movies to add to my to-be-experienced list.

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

We saw Harry Potter 7 Part 1 and I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd read the books. Today we'll go see True Grit if we can get the motivation to shovel the snow.

Unknown said...

Am finishing up my DVRed Castles & Burn Notices while trying to whittle down my pile of TBR books. Gotta get as much done as I can during winter break!

Have fun with your movies & books.
Mary
The Book Swarm

Amanda Ashby said...

I just finished reading the latest Jilly Cooper (not sure how big she is in the US but in the UK she's like Jackie Collins but with horses and I love her books to pieces).

Movie wise I finally saw Toy Story 3 and cried like a baby! I've also started re-watching the Harry Potter movies from the start with the kids, which is lots of fun!!!!

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

I've seen Harry Potter 7 twice and obviously loved it. I don't see many movies anymore, but Easy A looks awesome and is one my list and I hadn't heard of Life in A Day but that looks super cool!

Hoping for time to bust into my TBR soon. Got the Hunger Games trilogy for Christmas so I want to hop on that bandwagon :)

Sara Hantz said...

Harry Potter 7 was absolutely asesome. I can't wait for part 2.

academic writers wanted said...

Amazing post! Thanks for sharing.