Monday, September 14

Catching Food

I got to spend last week on a friend's boat north of Vancouver, and I went salmon fishing for the first time. I actually caught my food! My friend Natalie and I hauled in three big "pinks," with our amazingly kickass guide, Candice.

They called our boat the SS Estrogen, and we caught more fish than any of the men out there!

Here's a photo of Candice filleting the fish after we got back to the docks. (I'm on the right in the yellow pants... hey, it was cold and rainy!). Okay, yeah, I skipped the hard part of cleaning the fish. We ate fresh salmon that night and then made one fillet into Gravlox, a salt-cured salmon, for an appetizer later in the week. Sooo good!

Reeling in those fish was an adventure, I tell you! It makes me appreciate the fish market at my local grocery store a lot more too. And it just might be inspiration for a set-on-the-water novel at some point.

Have you guys ever caught your own dinner?

4 comments:

Alyson Noel said...

Oh, that's such a pretty area--and it looks like you had a great time!

I used to go spear fishing when I lived in Mykonos and we'd catch octopus, fish, and sea urchin--(okay, mostly I swam behind the spear fisher, holding the bag to put it all in, but still, it was awesome!!

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

You are so cool. Have I caught my own dinner? Hmm... Does wine count?

Wendy Toliver said...

Ah, I heart Vancouver! And it's funny but I swear girls almost always out-fish dudes. Thanks for sharing your adventure! Too bad you can't share all that fresh salmon.

Sara Hantz said...

I've never caught my own dinner.... one day though!