Thursday, January 6

In the News: Redemption

Am I the only one taken by this story? I suppose you can be a novelist and a cynic. Heck, I've even had more than my share of cynical protagonists in my books.

But I still get to write a happy ending if I want. And something about the story of the Man with the Golden Voice tugs at my heart strings.

English teachers tend to drive students nuts, right, with "themes." Like the good versus evil painting of St. Michael defeating Satan, themes are nothing new. I'm sure the first cave people told stories of the great hunt. And tales of defeating enemies.

Themes bind us and they talk to us. And for me, as the New year unfolds, there's no greater theme than an old-fashioned story of redemption.

And maybe that's even more fitting when you're a teen. Because we all make mistakes, and I know in my teen years, I made PLENTY of them. And it's nice to know there's usually a chance for a second act, a part II, a turnaround, a redemption. In books. And in real life.

Thoughts? Any great tales of redemption you know about?

4 comments:

Amanda Ashby said...

Wow what a great story - I hadn't seen it before!

I love redemption stories and I always think of Sydney Carton at the end of A Tale of Two Cities, when he proves his love for Lucy once and for all!

Erica Orloff said...

Oh . . . Amanda . . . yes! One of the very best redemption stories. :-)

Alyson Noel said...

Oh, i love this story!! Thanks for sharing!!

essay writing uk said...

interesting thoughts