Sunday, July 11

How Embarrassing!

Where do I start? I am always putting my foot in my mouth. Thank goodness, it's a small foot (size 6). Ha!

The other day I was at an open house sale at a local gift shop. A lady was checking out a little twiggy candle holder that I happened to have, debating whether or not to buy one. So, trying to be a saleslady (to benefit my friend who owned the store), I started flapping my lips about how I had one but how I wished I had two or even three because one looks stupid. I was pretty pleased with myself because she took two to the cash register, but then one of my very good friends reminded me that she was the one who gave it to me. Oops! Thank goodness, she's not the kind of person who was offended, but I was so embarrassed I didn't even know what to say.

Another source of great embarrassment is my youngest son. A few weeks ago, my dad got married to a lovely lady. After the ceremony, her family and those of us representing my dad's side (my sister, 3 little boys and me) were having dinner when my 3 year-old said, "My mom doesn't sleep in p.j.s!" The entire room went silent. I think he just meant I don't wear pajamas that look like his, with the footies, or maybe that I just sleep in a T-shirt or something. But of course it didn't come across that way.

Have you put your foot in your mouth lately? Or did you wish you could put your foot into somebody else's mouth? Tell us!

1 comment:

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Hee hee, that must have been mortifying, but what your son said is def funny! I am always putting my foot in my mouth too. Can't think of the latest time though...