Wednesday, July 28

How I Spent my Summer Fakation

View from the Fakation Room

So, this week we’re talking about vacations/travel and the sad truth is I will not be taking a vacation and/or traveling this summer.

(I know. Feel free to insert sad violin music here).

Between writing the final Immortals book (aka UNTITLED #6), moving (yep, I just moved, which means I now spend half my time looking for things), and 5 weeks of houseguests (niece & nephew in town for their annual visit)—there just isn’t time.

Though I will admit to having recently taken what I like to refer to as a “Fakation” and let me tell you, it turned out to be pretty darn great.

A couple weeks ago, right after returning from the DARK FLAME tour, we had to move out of the old house even though the new one wasn’t quite ready for us. So my husband and I decided to book a nearby hotel room where we could crash for a couple nights until the renovations we’re complete. After pouring over a list of possibilities we decided to splurge on a really nice room (as opposed to the adequate one we’d been planning), justifying it by reasoning that it would have to take the place of a summer vacation, or, as it turned out to be: A Summer Fakation.

I call it a Fakation because we stayed more or less within our same neighborhood and we both had to work during the day. Every morning, after enjoying a quick breakfast in the hotel café, my husband went off to oversee the renovations, while I retreated to the room to spend the day writing.

There was no lying by the pool, no sprawling on the beach, no fun summer beach reads, and no souvenir shopping—and yet, just having someone pop in to clean the room everyday and supply fresh towels was relaxing in its own way. Oh, and I will never again underestimate the power of room-service and/or dining out and being able to charge it to the room!

So, what about you—will you be taking a summer vacation, a staycation, or a fakation??

12 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

A fakation sounds like a great alternative! Especially the part of someone else doing the cleaning! My daughter and I went to England and France but otherwise am in town (of course, my town is Santa Barbara so that's like a vacation).

Alyson Noel said...

Helen- England, France, & Santa Barbara???-Lucky you--I love all of those places!

Amanda Ashby said...

Oh - my idea of vacation means no housework so your fakation definitely fits that bill!!!!!! And btw, NEGA congrats on your new deal! You are such a superstar. Shadowland has been next to my bed for ages while I've been stuck working on my book but I finally started it yesterday. Loving it of course!!!!!

Alyson Noel said...

Thanks Amanda, and I totally agree about the no housework = vacation rule--it is bliss to have someone else make the bed for a change!

ylime1981 said...

Your fakation sounds pretty awesome. Believe it or not, my Bar exam experience has turned out to be somewhat of a fakation! Since it's taking place in the same town where my sister lives, I am staying with her instead of in a hotel so it is like being at home, but she is taking care of me! Every morning she makes my breakfast. She has been driving me to and from the test site. She cooks me dinner. And I get to just come home every evening and relax on my computer. Plus she knows what this is all about since she took the Bar 5 years ago. So the exam has not been fun, but hanging out with my sister and being taken care of has been nice. And tomorrow afternoon when it's over, I'm getting some of my favorite ice cream (Graeter's - Oprah's favorite, as well) and stopping at a bookstore to buy some books because I am finally free to read!

Amanda Ashby said...

Did I just say NEGA????? Let's pretend that it's the kiwi way of saying MEGA instead of being a pre-caffeinated brain at work!!!

Unknown said...

Staying home in steamy Texas because I spent my money for others in the family to go on vacation. Please visit my blog :)

Alyson Noel said...

ylime1981- Oh, good luck on your bar exam--and visiting your sister--how nice of her to take such good care of you! Ice cream and books sounds like the perfect post-bar reward--enjoy!!

Amanda- Um, I thought that was the cool new word that only you were cool enough to use!!

David- What a kind thing to do! :)

Wendy Toliver said...

I've been in 11 different states (most of them as part of an insane road trip) since June 1. I'm BEAT and looking forward to a looooong staycation come August. :)

Greg Logsted said...

Well, I don't know about the rest of you but I want a real vacation. You know with sun and surf and all that. I'm tired of faking everything. That reminds me, did anyone see me on The View today? I thought I did a really good job.

Alyson Noel said...

Wendy- That sounds both fun & exhausting simultaneously!

Greg- Missed you on the view, but did catch that clip of you jumping up & down on Oprah's couch--well done!

Melissa Walker said...

I'm all for fakations that involve room service and daily cleanings!