Tuesday, September 14

Embarrassing Moments: Mortified!

I am a big fan of embarrassing moments, which is the topic of discussion on TFC this week. Without our goofy doofy moments, life wouldn't be nearly as fun.

At one teen magazine where I worked, I handled the Embarrassing Moments page--you know, the one where people wrote in to talk about how their white jeans got stained during that time of the month or how their dog ran into the living room with a bra in his mouth when a cute boy was over doing homework.

We only ran real emails that came in, but I always wondered if the stories were true, partially because my friends and I used to sit around and think up embarrassing moments to submit to magazines. It wasn't that we didn't have enough of our own, it was just that we were too scared to share true mortifications. Can anyone relate?

Today, I've come to embrace the awkwardness of life (I wouldn't have started Before You Were Hot if I weren't game to celebrate geeky times). That's why I adore, adore, adore Mortified!, which is a show and a series of books and a generally hilarious good time where people read past diary entries, school papers, etc. and relive their own wonder years.

Go see a show if you can--so worth it!

5 comments:

LM Preston said...

I love those moments also, it's where I get some of my best writing material :-D

Amanda Ashby said...

Thank you!!! I've always wondered if the emails in the teen mags are real or not because I'm strangely addicted to reading them!!!!! I'm off to check out mortified right now!!!!!

Wendy Toliver said...

I've never heard of Mortified but it sounds great! I'll have to check it out.

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Yes, I also wondered if those embarrassing moments were real! How cool that you actually handled that section of the mag. I was so so curious about that growing up!

And thanks for the recommendation on Mortified.

most embarrassing moments said...

I want to share my one moment. one day I was making pranks with my friends about my school teacher and I didn't know that he is standing behind. when I saw him I was shocked but he was very kind he started laughing and the whole class too, that was very embarrassing for me.