Friday, March 7

Idiosyncrasies rock......

Reading Melissa's post about lucky charms got me thinking. How many of us engage in rituals, or enjoy certain things that might be perceived as weird by outsiders?

So, in the interests of preserving the myth that I'm perfectly normal, I thought I'd share some of mine. In return..... I expect you to share some of yours:

1. I'm in love with my dishwasher.... not the casing, rather what it does to my dishes. I get very excited when it's time to put the powder in and press the start button. And opening it when everything is clean and sparkly, will make my day!!!

2. I LOVE patterns in numbers or words. My bank operates this online banking security system whereby it asks for a set of 3 numbers/letters from a card it issues before you can proceed to your account details (is that clear??). So... imagine my excitement when I get three numbers or three letters and not a mix. Or if the letters or numbers go in sequence (actually that's never happened, but I'm holding out for it).

3. I am so into writing lists, that I will write something on my list after I have done it, just for the pleasure of crossing it off. I write my lists in black and cross off in red.... pure heaven!!!

And I think I'll leave it here, in case you really do think I've lost it......

Okay... over to you.... I want the good stuff!!!

9 comments:

Samantha said...

Mmm, I like patterns as well. I think it's why I love the dictionary. It's so wonderfully organized. Actually, any organization make me incredibly happy. I'll organize anything too. Socks (colored, white, design, ankle, Mary Jane style), nail polishes (brand or color), writing utensils... even my junk drawer is organized.

I was helping my sister put away her clothes one time and I asked her how she organized them... she looked at me like a freak. That was the first time I realized that not everyone organizes their closet...

I'm sure there are other quirky things that I just don't realize. *shrugs*

OH! The TV volume has to be on an even number OR 3,7 or 21. That's definitely a little out there... multiples of five are okay too.

Sara Hantz said...

Samantha, I do the TV volume thing too.... my daughter started it and now we all put it on an even number!!!

Wendy Toliver said...

LOL, Sara! Great post. I have a thing about spelling out words/phrases/sentences and hoping they come to multiple of "5". So I'd count out "How are you" (9)and have to add "my dear" (6) before I could let it go. It's something I started doing when very young and I have no clue why.

Sara Hantz said...

Wendy, I LOVE that. And I'll start counting when I get an email from you!

Erica Orloff said...

Hi Sara:
Well . . .

It should come as NO surprise (to those who know me) to find out that nearly EVERYTHING about me is idiosyncratic. So I'll give you a couple:

Rituals? Well . . . If anyone says ANYTHING bad (i.e., discussing death, disease, bad luck, catastrophe, etc.), I make them "take it back." As in they have to say aloud, "I take it back" so as to not put it "out there" and invite bad luck.

I also knock on wood anytime anyone says anything bad.

And though a Buddhist, I cross myself like a Catholic if I, or anyone I am with, discusses someone who has passed away.

Lest you think my only oddities have to do with superstition, suffice it to say food shopping with me is nearly impossible as I boycott, for political reasons, countless companies (especially the Evil General Mills foods!!!). We also boycott Burger King (not that I eat meat, but if my kids want the occasional cheeseburger, they are not allowed to enter a BK) . . . etc.

I am sure I drive my kids nuts. But . . . they're stuck with me.

E

Melissa Walker said...

Ok, I've never confessed this one, but you guys are inspiring me: Sometimes, when a song comes on, I'll start counting the lyrics on my fingers, word by word. I can't stop until a chorus verse ends on the 10th finger. Sometimes this extends into the next song. How freaky is THAT?!

Luckily, I only do this occasionally... eek.

Sara Hantz said...

This is certainly cathartic.... so either we're all normal..... and how can we not be if we're all doing it (whatever it happens to be) or it's something to do with being involved in writing ...... I'm going for the former!!

Alyson Noel said...

Every time I finish a manuscript- I "Celebrate" by cleaning the house and organizing my files.
It's just sad. . .

Sara Hantz said...

Alyson...... what can I say.......CLEANING!!!! Arrrggghhh!!! Surely we can find you something a little less..... what's the word........um..... crazy