Tuesday, April 14

The Theater Vs. Home

Since I'm now a parent and I can't just pop out and catch a flick without finding an available babysitter (if I go with my husband) or arranging for my husband to stay with the kiddos so I can head out with my friend(s), I've become rather picky about which movies I'll watch at the theater versus which ones I'll wait to see on DVD at home.

Theater-worthy:

1. Whenever there's a really exciting action flick, preferably one I've heard is "worth the ticket money" from someone whose opinion matters to me. For example, I loved watching The Bourne Ultimatum on the big screen, especially since the elderly man next to me screeched and wiggled in his chair whenever something exciting happened.

2. A chick flick comedy with actors/actresses I adore. Especially when with friends who aren't afraid to laugh hysterically. For example, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Bride Wars.

3. Any movie I think will benefit from the huge screen and surround-sound. Examples include The Dark Knight and Twilight.

4. Quirky indie or low-budget movies I think sound interesting and want to support. Juno ended up being one of my all-time favorites and after seeing it in the theater, I bought the DVD.

5. Fun kid movies. I loved watching Cars, Shrek, Madagascar, etc. at the theater with my kids and all the other kids. Their laughter is contageous!


Wait for the DVD:

1. Any movie that's a tear-jerker. I learned the hard way that I'm not good at quiet sobbing when I went to see Of Mice and Men and bawled uncontrollably and loudly to my date's mortification. (He married me anyway, thank goodness.) This is why I'm waiting to see Marley and Me in the privacy of my own home.

2. Any movie that sounds good to me but no one wants to go with me. I'm not one to go to the theater alone.

3. Movies I wanted to see in the theater but simply missed. (I really wanted to see Slumdog Millionaire, which I think applies to #3 on the "Theater Worthy" list, but it's already on DVD.)

4. Movies that are really, really long. I'd rather watch The Curious Case of Benjamin Button at home, where I can take breaks if needed. (I hate having to leave the theater once a movie begins.)

What kinds of movies do you like to watch in the theater, and which ones would you rather watch at home?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather watch comedies at the movie theater, because I like to laugh at the sound of other people's laughs. Makes it funnier. I also like to watch the adrenaline rush action movies in the theater, because it looks much better on a huge screen with an awesome sound system.

I prefer to watch the romance and chick flicks at home though, because it's like sharing something highly personal with someone while you're watching them in the theater, and I don't like it very much.

Alyson Noel said...

It's true that some movies really lend themselves to the theatre- saw Dark Knight on IMAX and it was amazing!

But usually, the ones I see in the theatre are the ones I just happen to catch--while the ones I watch at home are all the others!

:-D

Sara Hantz said...

I try and see all movies on the big screen, then if I miss them get them out on DVD!

Some movies defintiely don't translate so well from the big screen to the small screen.

Anonymous said...

Dark Knight was awesome in the theater!

So was My Bloody Valentine 3D. Very scary.

Erica Orloff said...

Wow . . . this was a great post. With four kids, my going-to-the-movies days are few and far between. Most likely, it's for family fare that they want to see.

In general, I like foreign flicks with subtitles. Oscure films. Odd offbeat ones. Which means arthouse theatres (often rundown) or DVD! DVDs make me SO happy. I put them in my queue and voila . . . weird little film delivered to my home. I prefer watching at home nearly all the time now.
E

Sadako said...

Agreed, I don't think Dark Knight would have been anywhere near as scary on my own TV. Same with horror movies that rely on things popping out of nowhere or scary noises. They don't really work on my own.

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

The theatre: big epics or anything PG-13 I can take my kid to so we can knock down six armrests in the back row and lie head to head while we watch.

Home: anything I'm likely to fall asleep to.