Monday, May 16

Cyber Gems

It's Cyber Gems week here at TFC, the week for us to focus on great websites, interesting articles and fun YouTube clips etc. There's just one problem with that, or at least with me being part of the rotation this week: I'm pretty much the biggest tech-not in the world. You know the type of person, the one who's the last to know what LOL Cats is or discover the Numa-Numa Song or see Matt crazy-dancing in a gazillion countries. And since writing and reading is pretty much all I do with my waking hours, here's all I've got for you:

Backspace - If you're interested in having a career as a writer, the best thing you can do for yourself is join Backspace, an online forum with 1500+ writers at all stages of their careers, from just starting out to NYTimes bestsellers. There's a modest subscription fee but I know of no better place to get information on all aspects of the art of writing and the business of publishing while networking with other writers.

BookBalloon - The ultimate site for book lovers, there is no subscription fee, just discussion threads devoted to every genre, NF and book-related topic imaginable, and there are even monthly book-discussion groups. The proprietor, Gary Glass, is like a genie, making innovations to the site as demand arises.

The Official Sisters 8 Website - It hasn't been updated recently - there are only five books currently on it even though the seventh of nine was just released - but I still adore the publisher-created website for the series for 6- to 10-year-olds that I write with my husband and daughter. There are a lot of fun features there for kids to play around with - there's even a section on advice for kids to start their own book discussion groups - and all kids seem to love taking the personality-profile quiz "Which Eight are You?"

So that's all I've got for you today. I wish I had more. I wish I were the kind of person likely to be the first to discover the next Numa-Numa Song, but that's not me. Hopefully it's you? Please tell me: What are your favorite Cyber Gems?

And just in case you haven't seen it: The Numa-Numa Song.

Be well. Don't forget to write.

3 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

I love book sites! Thanks, Lauren!

Let's see... sites to adore. Well, I'm cover obsessed and so is That Cover Girl... so I am way into her:

http://thatcovergirl.wordpress.com/

Sara Hantz said...

I agree with Melissa, books sites are awesome. I try to limit the sites I visit because I get sucked in so easily!!

dissertation help said...

I really enjoyed this article. It is always nice when you read some thing that is not only informative but entertaining. Excellent!